Saturday, August 19, 2006

Travelogue Day 26

19/6/06

I finally did laundry, but I didn't drop in to see Debbie and finalize my travel plans. I'll send an email later. I missed the to-do with the Australia-Brazil game. I shamefully fell asleep on the couch while waiting for the time to go out. Perhaps I'll be in town for the match vs. Croatia.

A Perfect Day (2005, Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige)
A day in the life of Malek. He is still asleep as his mother tries to get him to postpone an appointment, but when he wakes, he insists on keeping it. The appointment is with a lawyer to have his father, who disappeared 15 years earlier during the war, declared dead.

while his mother reaches out to him in her anguish, he ignores her telephone calls because he is too occupied with trying to reignite the passion with his ex-girlfriend. He keeps after her until, after he follows her into a nightclub and his narcolepsy overtakes him, they kiss and leave the club for a romantic interlude. Before the interlude, she realizes it won't be any different from any other time and flees the car.

We see the world through her eyes during part of the drive, and when Malek puts her contacts in, he sees the world through her eyes too. These are two quite beautiful sequences of the headlights of passing cars, streetlights, and signs as balls of light moving about the screen. He falls asleep at the beach, again, then sprints along in stops and starts (like his breathing while asleep) (this part is accompanied by very nice shots of the beach area and a flock of birds in flight).

I liked it, though I'm still not entirely sure why yet.

No comments: