Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wolverines!


I really should be asleep right now, since I have to be up at 06:00 to get to work on time, but I just can't help myself. I just finished watching Red Dawn. Yes, that Red Dawn; the one from the 80s.

It was totally awesome! I'd almost forgotten how much fun these sorts of Cold War paranoia movies could be. If I were taking American Masterworks, I would write my final on this film. It has everything: invasion of a small town in the American Rocky Mountains, heartless Soviet paratroopers, former Cuban rebels turned regulars who become disillusioned because of the, executions of civilians (a surprising number for it being a small town), high school kids as guerilla fighters, who completely upstage trained professionals, Powers Boothe, Cuban communists realising the Russians aren't really the same sort of communists, Patrick Swayze trying to act with feeling, Red China's on the side of the good ole' USA, sacrificial diversions, it just goes on and on.

Did I mention the sheer number of people killed by the Wolverines? Probably not. They're foreigners occupying our land by force of arms, not real people, so it doesn't matter. They have superior weapons and numbers? They'll underestimate the abilities of a small group of teens with hunting rifles and a former high school quarterback to lead them. Once you kill a few, take their weapons and kill more until they go back where they came from. Infiltrate their safe zones and blow things up. It doesn't matter if you're not part of the military; this is our country! Those Commies can get out or die.

I'm sure we all remember the exchange between Matt and Jed as Jed is about to execute a Russian prisoner and their fellow Wolverine, Daryl, for treason:
Matt (referring to the invaders): What makes us different from them?
Jed: We live here.
And just because it is one of the greatest lines in the history of cinema:
Lt. Col. Tanner: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: Keeps me warm.
I'd totally want to be a Wolverine.

All the fun and throw back to the Cold War 80s paranoia aside, as we think about our heroes in this movie, does anyone notice what Peet McKimmie at IMDB does?

Also seriously, John Milius, Kevin Reynolds, you guys are great. All the Americana + Soviet paratroops out of nowhere = brilliance.

No comments: