Thursday, July 27, 2006

Travelogue Day 16

9/6/06

I still haven't booked my travel for my week's holiday. I need to get on that before the festival makes me forget it entirely.

I made myself look terrible with my performance on this morning's quiz. I hope to fix my image after that. We saw Look Both Ways today. It was rather good, instructed us to remember to look at things from a perspective outside our normal approach.

Opening night of the festival. Ten Canoes and a fancy party are in store. Perhaps I'll actually mingle, maybe even do it well.

We got ourselves all dressed up and headed down to the State Theatre. A.C., Joy, Marc, and Donna went to dinner somewhere expensive while Mike, Tom, Devon, and I didn't. Instead, we got to the theatre early and walked down the blue carpet, having our pictures taken as we made our way to our seats.

Ten Canoes (2006, Rolf De Heer)
Stories being told in three different times all about origins and the past. The story of "our people." Good story. Present = colour, past = black and white, distant past = colour, all = one big cycle (present is past is ancient all at the same time) for Aborigines(?)


After the screening, we (the entire film studies crew including Daryl, Fred, and Greg) went to the party at the Argyle in the Rocks. The bus I was on made a wrong turn, so those of us on it got to take one round trip across the harbour bridge before arriving. The venue was pretty good. It had five interconnected areas, each with its own feel. I tended toward the cellar area because the cover band above just wasn't my thing.

Beer and wine flowed constantly until they tossed us out, as did the food. Trays of tasty things were circulating throughout the night. Various wraps, miniature meat pies, fried prawns, fish and chips boxes, and much more were to be had.

I did a little mingling and ran into various people. Paul Burns said hello, and I spoke with many of the Ten Canoes cast members in attendance that night. Richard Birrinbirrin was a very nice fellow, and we spoke of what he was doing now. Jamie and David Gulpilil were both rather nice as well. I met David's daughter Toni (not sure if that's how she spells it) and ex-wife too. Toni had a few suggestions for good clubs to seek out, and I probably spent too much time talking with her.

We also ran into Rolf De Heer. He and I seem to lean the same direction with regard to American politics, and he gave Devon, Greg, and I (the other kids had run off in excitement after Daryl had played a little joke on them by saying he'd heard Johnny Depp was in attendance) the story of how Ten Canoes got made.

The night wore on, and they tossed us out around 02:30. We film studies kids were hoping to catch a last minute bus back to the UniLodge (walking a few kilometers in fancy shoes is not a pleasant prospect) from Circular Quay when we ran into Fred again. We had thought he was walking back (he and his wife had walked all the way across Spain a year or two before, so this wasn't unthinkable even with the fancy shoes), but he didn't like the prospect of walking that far in dress shoes any more than we.

The group of us started to walk in the direction of UniLodge while trying to hail a couple of cabs. This didn't work out too well, but we did get one eventually. We got everyone but Fred, Devon, and I in the first cab, and we expected a second cab would not be too far away. Little did we know that the cab drivers that night would be so fickle. At least two just drove off without a word after hearing our intended destination. We were saved by some of the internship kids who had been at a pub near where we were hailing taxis. They had managed to stop two, if I recall correctly, and had us along.

No comments: